Sunday, March 1, 2009

March 1st pick


My sister called me to tell me about this book, how she thought it was wonderful, and I HAD to read it. I decided to get it from the library but the waiting list was over a month long. Then I decided to go to the used bookstore close by and the owner told me that I would not find that book used, "Anyone who reads that book keeps it to read in another 6 months". Well. I guess I just better buy the darn book then.

This book sounds sad, but really inspiring.

On September 18, 2007, computer science professor Randy Pausch stepped in front of an audience of 400 people at Carnegie Mellon University to deliver a last lecture called “Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams.” With slides of his CT scans beaming out to the audience, Randy told his audience about the cancer that is devouring his pancreas and that will claim his life in a matter of months. On the stage that day, Randy was youthful, energetic, handsome, often cheerfully, darkly funny. He seemed invincible. But this was a brief moment, as he himself acknowledged.

What would you want to say as your last and final lecture???

3 comments:

RETTJ16 said...

I saw this guy on tv...and i keep seeing this book at the book store...i should just buy it too. Looks good.

manda said...

I saw Randy on television about a year ago, tlaking with Diane Sawyer. His story and what he had to say touched me. When he passed, my heart ached for his wife, for his children.
Every November my company has a big client dinner where we also happen to pass out a book, all of it is one giant thank you to the clients for sticking with us. (especially in out business, especially considering times have been tough)
Last November the guy who signs my checks wanted me to pick up 120 copies of 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas' from my local Borders. I disagreed whole-heartedly. Umm, can you say major downer? Also, it's not even based on a true story. I would much rather read a true account of what someone expirenced in what can only be described as one of the most horrific crimes against humanity we have ever seen.
Anywho, I suggested The Last Lecture. So many wonderful lessons, heartbreaking at the same time. Maybe I'll go back and give it a re-read. It has been about 6 months....

RETTJ16 said...

Booooo!! It is May!! You guys are too busy quilting!! :)