Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Last Time They Met - review

This book took a little getting into, I was confused for the first 15 pages or so, but then it gets really interesting. When Linda and Thomas meet at a book conference and you learn about their past. It is sad to learn that they met in high school and were involved in a bad car accident and that, also family, pulls them apart. Years later they meet again in Africa, of all places, and though both of them were married at that time, they have an affair and realize that they still love each other and have since they met in high school. I really liked reading about their thoughts and how their encounters go. I thought the ending was the BEST part of the book ,even though I always want a happy ending. It was such a dark twist to the story that it totally took me, and I bet you, by surprise. You find out that Linda actually died in the car crash back when they were teenagers and Thomas has been so upset about it that he has been imagining all that you have read, his life with Linda in it. I think that losing the love of his life at a young age and then having his young daughter drown was just to much for him. He tried moving on with his life after Linda and married and had a daughter, but then he loses the daughter in a tragic boating incident and she drowns, it is just to much to handle.

I did like this book, though it was not what I was hoping for, a good romance with a happy ending. Maybe next time. What did you think???

4 comments:

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

great review ... I agree with you it was a dark, surprising twist at the end, but made for such an interesting plot line.

Darci said...

It defiantly had a crazy twist and that always makes for the best movies, in my opinion. I always like to be really surprised, I just don't remember that happening in a ending in a book before.

RETTJ16 said...

Over all i would have to say i didn't really like it. I think it had an amazing story/twist but i didn't like her writing and i thought some of the stuff she added in there didn't need to be in there. I found myself skimming though several parts just to get through it. I think it could have been much better! But i was totally caught off guard at the ending as well (pleasantly surprised!!)...and had to think about it for a while to finally put together what i thought happened. I should have skipped reading the book and just read your review Darci--it was much better than the book! haahaa JILL

Darci said...

LOL thanks Jill. She did tend to run on and on in the mouth, that wasn't what I had encountered with the other books I have read from her.