Tuesday, July 15, 2008

July 15th pick


I had heard a lot about Libba Bray's "A Great and Terrible Beauty" but made it my pick for July without really knowing anything about it. Come to find out, it's another Young Adult genre book (like Twilight) about a young girl who, after an unconventional upbringing in India, is sent back to England to attend an all-girls boarding school. There she falls into the usual petty squabbles of popularity and independence, before realizing that there is more to the school than she first realized. In a madcap tale of gypsies, magical powers, and deep dark soul-sucking evil Gemma has to face up to her own personal demons as well as the very real spirits that wish her, and her friends, harm.

I was happy to find out that this book is the first in a Trilogy, with Rebel Angels and The Sweet Far Thing rounding out the three. I can't wait until my library finally gets it in and I can start it. I know a lot of you have already read it - so I hope you'll come join us in talking about it once more people finish it!

10 comments:

Darci said...

I started it today, so far so good. Can't wait to see how it all turns out and if it is good then I will have to get the others and read those too. I hope it is good, I love reading a series.

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

I am LOVING this so far!

Darci said...

I already finished it and I am on book #2 and it is SOOOO good. I can't wait to read all 3. Can't wait to see what you all thought of it.

RETTJ16 said...

Oh i am so glad you think it is good Darci! I couldn't find it at the library so i went and bought it! Glad to see you guys are liking it so i don't feel so bad for buying it! I will have to start it tonight!!
JILL

Darci said...

I even went and bought them all today!!! I know I will read them again. I am starting the 3rd and final one today! I like to read them in a row.

RETTJ16 said...

You are already on book 3? Holy cow!

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

Jill, Darci is kind of a spaz like that! Just kidding, just a fast reader!

Darci said...

Hey! I just like a good book.

RETTJ16 said...

I finished it! Can't wait to hear what everyone thought and the review!

pitbull said...

Let me borrow it when you're done, Erin. It sounds interesting.....3 "thumbs up" so far.