Sunday, June 22, 2008

On The Side


"On The Side" is all the books that Erin and I read on our own, in between our Oh! It's Only A Novel! picks.

The Pilot's Wife is a book that Erin had read a long time ago and I had heard good things about so I decided to read it. I have read Anita Shreve before and really liked her book, Fortune's Rocks, so I had high hopes for this book. Kathryn, the wife of the pilot, found out that her husband's plane had crashed and there were no survivor's. Jack was accused of suicide because it was a bomb that went off on the plane in the cockpit. Kathryn learns that Jack had a whole separate life apart from her and their daughter and it tore her apart. What she does to find out all she can about his other life and how she realizes that the man she thought she knew was not really who he was. The ending is not my favorite, it leaves you hanging. I was totally confused, what did it mean?? I don't like endings like that and it makes me think less of the book. I wonder why Oprah liked it so much??? Am I the only one who hates confusing endings???


OK, this book I had high hopes for because I have really liked all the books that I have read, so far, from Jodi Picoult. Erin turned me on to her and I am grateful because she really knows how to write a good and interesting story. But.....this book was just so unbelieveable. To much happens and all that does happen you think to yourself that there is no way that could really happen.

The first thing that gets you thinking this is that the mother who is an attorney takes a gun to court and shoots the alleged child abuser of her son. Who gets a gun into court??? Then you find out that it wasn't the right abuser, she had shot the wrong priest. It just all falls apart and there is just to much craziness. I was very disappointed with this book and even considered not finishing it, which is so not like me. Please do not waste your time on this Jodi Picoult book, she has many others that are really great stories, such as, My Sister's Keeper, Nineteen Minutes and Plain Truth, all of those I loved.

2 comments:

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

Jodi Picoult is usually so awesome ... now I have this title permanently in my head as one NOT to read of hers! Glad you read it first so you could warn me away from it!

Darci said...

Good thing because it is a totally waste of time, I was so upset about it being so crazy unbelievable.